OK forget Holladay-4, I think the crazy ward setup out here in Salt Lake should officially be called...The Monson Legacy.
Yep, that's right. Apparently he's behind it all. My ward here in SLC is actually part of a sort of suma ward thing that's made up of 4 (actually I guess now it's 3 cuz one just got cut out) wards. Now, we each have our own bishopric and assorted callings but everything kinda operates as one big one. Once a month, all of the wards combine for church. We have our own Relief Society's and Priesthood's but Sunday School and Sacrament Meeting are combined. So once a month, we have church at 9 am instead of 1 pm. Most of the activities are combined and we do all kinds of crazy things with the other wards...but its like all our ward...interesting.
So the other night my bishopric came over to meet and visit with me. We got talking about the ward and that's when they explain that the whole setup was now President Monson's idea...his "brain child" if you will. Wow, pretty cool right. And since he is so involved in it, he keeps special tabs on us and watches how the whole thing is working and how successful it is. (which probably means how many marriages do they get out of this crown often deemed the "BYU retirement center")One of the guys in our leadership is apparently President Monson's hometeacher...how's that for a calling eh? But I guess this time last year, President Monson came to visit the wards and even played a couple of his favorite songs on the piano. CRAZINESS. So let's just say, I told them I'm all for them repeating the experience. It's not like he's busy or anything.
Also John Bytheway is one of our High Counselors and he often has to come speak to the ward. I'm pleased so far.
While we were all talking the bishopric asked if I'd like a calling and what kinds of things I'd done before. In the middle of the conversation, one of them was like, "I know right now what your calling will be." Of course, I don't know. But I guess I'll find out soon.
It's always interesting to see what people's first impressions of you lead to.
February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Did you tell them you did singing time? Maybe they do that for the combined ward too. That would be fun..,, If I were you I would always leave that one out. That is what I plan to do after my stint is over. Right now I am thinking of what to do tomorrow. Any ideas?
Dude. That is pretty cool. Maybe they will try that program out down here.
Post a Comment