Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

September 21, 2011

Dear World,

Dear World,

What is with the trend of writing letters to inanimate or intangible objects and ideas?

I've done it myself (hmm, case in point), but seriously, where did this start? Why has it become so popular? Perhaps it was cute and creative the first few times the format was used, but aren't we overdoing it? Or am I mistaken?

I mean, the format is even emphasized in educational settings, such as with this essay contest "Letter to an inanimate object," where students wrote letters to their retainer, calculus book and mirrors.

Maybe, just maybe, I actually like the idea and am sick of people overusing it and having to fight the urge to write letters to my electric blanket, favorite pair of shoes, book I'm reading, or, uh, 9:55 alarm.

Those urges just aren't normal are they? They seem to also come along with Twitter and Facebook. Before the social media world,who would ever have even considered writing a letter of complaint to the two sticky keys on his keyboard??

This all kinda reminds me of the College Humor video: "Twitter in Real Life." (The video won't let me embed...maybe I should write it a letter.)

Anyways, World, that's all I have to say.

Sincerely,

Karianne Salisbury

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...