Another interview. Yep, at 5:30 this evening I traveled to the Daily Herald off of Freedom Boulevard for an interview for a copy editor position. (They edit the final text and complete the newspaper layouts.) After the guy called me to set up the interview, I hung up and thought...dang, I really don't want to go. Not a good sign huh? But, since I hadn't heard from the Church yet, I had to keep some options open for my life next year.
So I went...and hated it. I walked into the newsroom and instantly hated the atmosphere. The guy met me at the door and was really awkward and didn't talk much. We went into the conference room where he "interviewed" me. I added the quotation marks because if there were an award for the world's worst interviewer, it may just go to this guy. Again, he was just awkward, which made me awkward. On top of this, I have been working to get my magazine to press by Monday and have gotten an average of 4 hours of sleep a night. So I was pretty out of it and really just babbling in this weird, awkward situation.
He asked like four times how I liked BYU and my experience there. Then he asked how I liked Provo...and then asked if I could see myself living there for a while. Initially, and what I told him, I thought, "Yea, I could stick around Provo a little longer." But in my head I started thinking "Um, no not really...not long term...actually staying in Provo really does not look good right now." After my response he explains how sometimes they hire people who later realize that they can't stay in Provo and have to leave...I was upfront and told him that I didn't plan on being in Provo very long...that I had some things I want to do this summer which is why I wasn't initially looking for a long term thing around here. (I had applied for an internship in a different department but they didn't see why, with my qualifications, I'd want a low-paying internships when I didn't need it and referred me to this position.)
By this time I'm really thinking...you know what...I really really don't want this job. And then I was kicking myself for taking an hour out of my dang busy day with a million things to do to interview for this lame position in Provo. I had to take a copyediting test and was kinda just speeding through it because I really didn't care and wanted to leave. So that guy probably thinks I'm really dumb...oopps.
But I left with the realization that I never EVER want to do copyediting at a newspaper. That's just not me and I think I would shoot myself first....OK maybe not that, but I did tell Grace that I think I would move home and be a loser without a future before I took that job. The pay probably isn't that great, the hours suck (3-12 p.m. 5 days a week), and I really just don't think it could be very fulfilling for me. So, while I did feel that the interview was kinda a waste of time that has been so precious to me lately, it did help me narrow down my personal prospects for the future. I'm still not sure what I think about writing for a daily newspaper (it's probably in the middle of the favorability scale) but I now know that a newspaper copyeditor is one position I hope I never have to fill.
November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment