Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

July 2, 2008

hmm names and such

How do you tell stories about your friends to other unrelated friends? I've kinda noticed some differences in the way I personally tell stories and the way other people tell stories... For example, say I'm telling my roommate about something I did with a friend. When I tell the story I say something like, "I was with my friend Billy..." And then my comments will be, "Oh yea my friend Donna said..." So when I talk about people not known by the people I'm talking to, I always include clarifying information about this people to help others make the connection.

However, when others tell stories I've noticed that sometimes they'll just jump right in...even if I don't know the people they are talking about. They'll say, "I was with Billy and..." or then "Oh yea, Donna said once that..."

So I've been thinking a little about the reasons behind all this...Am I somewhat more territorial about my friends and acquaintances so I have to make sure to indicate that these are "my friends" or what not. Or, maybe I'm just trying to be over accommodating to make sure people know who and what I'm talking about....anyways. That's that.

3 comments:

Gabe said...

Haha, so including the term "my friend" qualifies as clarifying information?

Hmmm... I do the same thing, except I clarify more. I have made epithets for my friends like, "doting Diane," or "Barney the cellist," or "James the physicist." These epithets are repeated every time said friends are mentioned until I have confidence that the person to whom I am speaking is familiar with them.

Karianne Salisbury said...

Sometimes I'm just so baffled because people always talk about their other friends to me and I have NO IDEA who they are...maybe, just maybe, I've heard the name once or twice before. But how likely is it that I remember such trivial details...I mean, they aren't my friends. OK so that didn't sound like I meant it to sound...But sometimes I wonder how people randomly think I know who these people are they are talking about. They just jumped into stories and I have no idea what's going on...

Chris said...

Interesting thought.I do the same thing by adding clarifiers. Until I either know the people know who I am talking about or they tell me. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...