***Hehe, this post is kinda old...I found it in my drafts and thought I'd better publish. Sorry it's seemingly outdated and redundant of many other thoughts I also read.
I am looking forward to the next few years. We are in an exciting time. Historic things are happening and we all get to be a part of that for better or worse.
America is a great country; we all believe that regardless of our political relationships. And perhaps we can look to the examples of such men from even our country's founding who fought and debated and finally accepted and supported the outcome...they set the character that has become part of the American way.
There has almost always been a party system in our country and with that come elections where candidate are forced to work against one another. In the end however, these great men and women have most always displayed such virtuous character in this regard. They put their country first and with that put their support with the elected representatives of our country. We the people, by the people, for the people. Ones personal aspirations do not compare with the country's aspirations, as determined by the democratic process.
I enjoyed McCain's closing speech. He, like the leaders before him, showed dignity and grace, and reflected the importance of once again joining together as a country——all under the leadership of our new to be president.
At first I was shocked at some of the immediate backlash towards the result of the election. Perhaps it was upsetting that the race wasn't nearly as close as some expected. (I heard one comment that said we probably wouldn't know the results for 2 days because it'd be so close....uh, 9 p.m. baby!) Perhaps that's what I should have expected here in Utah.
But let me go back...I was shocked. Maybe I'm naive. Maybe I'm not passionate enough. But I have to just sit back, breathe in, force a chuckle, and remind myself of some of my own thoughts from a couple posts back. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...they all have come to their personal opinions for good, personal reasons. And that's what I have to tell myself.
At the same time, I am a little disappointed in the lack of faith some are showing for our country. The notion that there won't be a country worth waking up to. That we have doomed ourselves. That we should move to Canada or even work on an immediate impeachment. Yes, I recognize that much of this is hyperbole stemming from high emotions and somewhat meaningless comments.
But we are here today in the world and the America that we have created for ourselves. While this has been quite a historic election from start to end, this election follows the example established before us. Every four years holds an opportunity for some serious upheaval and dissatisfaction with an elections results. And while things may not be perfect, has the history of past elected presidents, where much of the country may not have initially supported that person, really turned America into a place with a future as horrible as some make it out to be?
I am rambling here...and I know there are faults and holes in my statements that I should have looked more thoroughly into. But I hope some of my thoughts have been adequately expressed. I am proud to be living in America today. I have proud to have participated in this election and exercised my right to vote. I'm proud that I took the opportunity to look into the character and research the political histories of each person I voted for. And I'm proud that I didn't let any party sway my vote. (I'm pretty sure I ended up covering democrat, republican, libertarian, constitution...) I'm proud that people are excited about politics and the country...and I hope that sticks around.
In response to Susie's comments, I too do not think we are headed for 4 years of doom and destruction. While I can't predict what will happen, I am confident that if we each do our part, we can all help be a part of the progress to come.
I look forward to the years of growth, unity and an increasing positive attitude.
November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment