I subscribe to a lot of blogs and one that I’ve really enjoyed lately is entitled Careerealism: Because Every Job Is Temporary. Now many of you know that, as I journalist, I would love to be working for a publication much like one called Next Step Magazine, which is for high school students preparing to take, what else, their next step in life. I love the idea of researching and helping students explore their options about different colleges, majors, study abroad opportunities, jobs, scholarships, etc. (I would totally pursue a position by the way, but they are located in upstate New York and I'm just not sure about that.)
I think this all connects somehow to my interest of topics related to job searches, resumes and cover letters, interviews, and everything related. Really…I love this stuff. I wonder if that’s why I’m always antsy about staying at my current job for a while. Even though I really like it, maybe I feel like I’m missing out at the whole job searching adventure that I seem to have constantly been involved with in the last 4 plus years. All that said, maybe I should get my butt in gear and start writing articles about these things and see if I can get anything published.
Oh yea, the point of this post. Careerealism just posted an article entitled, “Interview Red Flags: Ever Felt Like THESE People? (I have!)” Perhaps the best part about the post is the video. I can’t find the info to embed it here so please venture over to the actual post to watch it.
The best thing about the article is the emphasis that a job interview is not only for the company wishing to hire but also to you, the hopeful employee. You have to make a decision about the fit just as much as they do. And I think that’s an aspect of the process that many often forget. Yes, sometimes people don’t feel like they have much of a choice, maybe they are looking for anything and open to everything. Even so, make sure you don’t get yourself into too sticky of a situation.
P.S. I kinda just had a sort of epiphany. I wonder if I wanted to start up a publication much like Next Step for high school students, if perhaps my current company might be a good possibility to back it. After all, all of our current publications are also for schools, although curriculum based and for K-6. But it could all just start as a new product line....oooh, that would be awesome. Something to consider I suppose.
February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Karianne,
I think your passion for all things career-related is a sign that the industry is a match for you. I hope you choose to explore the publication for HS students. For the last three years, I've been a guest presenter for NHHEAF, an NH-based non-profit that helps high school students get scholarships for college. I'll be speaking at their college fair in March. I wish I had a great resource like the one you outlined to mention to them!
Thank you for following our work at Careerealism.com. I founded the site because I didn't want young professionals to make the same career development mistakes I made. It's a lot of work, yet every time I read a post like yours, it reassures me that we making a difference.
Sincerely,
JT, Founder
Careerealism.com
Post a Comment