Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

October 14, 2008

writing the words

I wonder if I am increasingly becoming addicted to blogging, or more specifically writing about my life, thoughts, and experiences. Today at work, I was distracted from work because of, well, the lack of distractions. So while my minds wanders away from the pile of teacher resource books I'm editing, and my eyes stray from the exciting pages of the AP Stylebook and Webster's Dictionary, I think about life and writing.

I love writing about things I experience and am passionate about. Sometimes that is the key that is missing in journalistic writing. I look over page after page of my portfolio and there are only a handful of articles that I actually care about. So for those of you who have read any or, for you dedicated people, all of my articles published in the Daily Universe, Marriott Alumni magazine or Web site, or for the News of the Church, I understand that they may not always be the most exciting things out there.

*Sidenote: I have yet to see it but I believe my True to the Faith article featuring VA's very own Paul Epperson is in the newest Ensign.

**Also: I also haven't gotten around to personally obtaining copies of the past several months of issues of the Ensign or Liahona with my articles in them. Sooo, if you have any that you will probably be getting rid of, let me know and I'll gladly take them. This includes copies of the Liahona in different languages cuz I think that would be awesome to include in my portfolio.

Focusing Again.

Sometimes I admit I get caught in the habit of writing about things I want and hope to do someday rather than actually getting out and doing them. So I will spare you some of those details. But in short, I'm hoping to generate the motivation to step up and actually accomplish or work on some of those things I've been thinking about. In the past couple years, I'm happy to say that I've accomplished a lot of things that I'm proud of. I also managed to stay really busy and take on new challenges and opportunities whenever they came along. Right now I'm in a place where those same experiences don't present themselves as readily but, at the same time, I am now in the position to pursue some of my own ideas and things on my own. And I want to do that.

I'm the kind of person who tends to need everything in order and right before I can agree to take on a new responsibility or task. This is something that tends to hold me back. I’m never going to be perfect in the things I’m already doing and I can’t keep that imperfection from keeping me from new things. That’s one thing I’m trying to work on myself—to accept where I am on certain things and to be happy with that place, all the while recognizing my efforts to improve when I can. If I focus on the negative, I will be overwhelmed and never improve.

With that in mind, I’m dedicated to start pushing forward on some of these things I want to accomplish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...