Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

September 23, 2010

A home in Provo

I was reading some of my old blog posts a couple nights ago. I had ventured back to 2007 when I was preparing to graduate from BYU and trying to figure out what to do next in life.

At one point I had an interview with the Daily Herald to be a copy editor. I knew as soon as they set up the interview that it wouldn't be a good fit for me. But I went to the interview anyways and responded to quite a bit of questioning about what I thought about staying in Provo long term.

I admit, I wasn't fond of the idea. Like any soon-to-be graduate, I told the interviewer what they apparently wanted to hear. Something along the lines that I liked Provo and I'd be up for moving or staying depending on the type of job I got. But inside I really wanted change. I wanted adventure. I wanted to do somethinh new, exciting, and slightly terrifying because of all the unknowns involved.

Here I am, however, three years later, living in Provo and loving my life. My attempts in Salt Lake, Virginia and Orem seem to have failed, and I found myself in P-town once again. Despite my 2007 desires, I am in a fantastic point in life and have had so many great things happen to me here in Provo.


At work I was compiling some of the things Utah has been recognized for lately. In August 2010, the Business Facilities Magazine released rankings for the typical categories, and Utah had a strong standing. So strong that if there were a category for "Most Improved State," Utah would probably have won it. (Yes that's a direct quote from the magazine text.)

Let's take a look at what Utah was named:

#1 in Quality of Life
#2 in Best Education Climate
#3 in Best Business Climate
#3 in Geothermal Power Generation Leaders
#7 in Economic Growth Potential
#7 in Employment Leader
#8 in Best Transportation Infrastructure
#10 in Best Business Tax Climate


I have to say I'm proud to live in Utah. I've lived here for about 12 years total (6 years growing up and 6 years for college and beyond). This rankings are from just one organization but I get the opportunity to report on the many rankings the state receives all time time from Forbes, Yahoo, CNN Money, CNBC, Money Magazine, etc. And I'm glad other people recognize the great things Utah has to offer. I'm glad I get to benefit from and participate in those things as well.

As much as I love D.C. and the idea of the big, unknown possibilities out there in the world, I know I have a home in Provo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...