Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

October 12, 2008

positive thoughts

Every week my dad sends out a letter to all of us and usually includes some sort of thought or quote at the end. I really liked the one from this week so I thought I'd share.

"You can change the course of events in your life just by having a positive attitude and being optimistic. If you are positive and optimistic, people like being around you. Your positive energy brings out positive energy in others. This creates a cycle that attracts more positive energy. Your relationships improve because your positive energy rubs off on those you are close to. You are more forgiving and kind and your kindness and forgiveness is returned by others. The things that you want to make happen in your life begin to come about because the resources and people who can help you come into your life and they want to contribute and participate with you in your ideas and goals. Because your mind is open and positive, flashes of inspiration come to you and help you move toward your goals. In this way, t
he world becomes a different and a better place because you are here."

I've found that this is so important in my life. And I have seen the difference that it can make. I know that as I am working on various goals and towards certain accomplishments or working to "change the course" of my life in general, those positive thoughts and encouragement both from myself and from friends and family are the main things that get me going. I'm not so much of a self-motivated person....well, actually I am, but it varies and depends on the extent and situation..haha. So maybe I'm just not a consistently self-motivated person. But there are still certain levels of things that do provide motivation.

I know positive thoughts are so important because the things that are the hardest for me to overcome when I'm working towards something or even just moving forward in life are the thoughts that are not positive but in fact, negative and self-doubting.

I can have good plans, intentions and even starts towards something, but the minute I let my perspective falter, I have a much harder time getting back on track. My self doubts are definitely some of the hardest things I have to work through. Because these are the hardest, I know the most important, for me at least, are keeping and maintaining the positive thoughts.

And I've really been trying lately to focus more on the positives than the negatives, and it makes me so much happier. I focus on the things I have, rather than the things I don't. On the things I love and enjoy, rather than the things I dislike. On the things that I've accomplished, rather than where I've fallen short. On great friendships and relationships, rather than ones I've lost. On accomplishments and progress, rather than shortcomings and downfalls.

While I know there is so much more for me to work towards and improve on, I know that by focusing on the positive, I will better equip myself to be able to step up and tackle the things that might not be as easy for me. That is so much more productive than saying, perhaps, I am so bad at this and I need to focus on just that and working on just that. This mindset is one that will just lead me to feel overwhelmed and will not help me move forward. Instead, I can recognize the positive things that I can do and that I have accomplished and then recognize my strengths and cultivate the positive thoughts I need to continue moving forward and improving.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

That quote made me cry when I first read it on dad's letter. It was kindof a crying day anyway, but it touched me. It's a really good one though right?

Aaron and Hannah Kam Family said...

I know I post a lot of comments about no nonsense things, but I do have to say you helped me with your positive energy. During the time that we hung out you made me want to be a better person and a better person I was. I always liked it because it was different that what I was used to, different that who I WAS, and that's who I turned out to be, because of your positive energy. SO, I say keep it up because you never know who's being touched.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...