Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

September 28, 2009

shy v. quiet

Those two things might seem the same, but I believe there are differences. For example, one who is shy might feel nervous or out of place while talking and therefore doesn't much. But one who is quiet might simply not have much to say (to random people) or doesn't feel the need to burst into every conversation. But should they need to talk it's not a big deal.

Those aren't great descriptions, but I've always maintained that I am a quiet person but not shy. I can definitely be outgoing in my own right when I feel like it...but not all the time. However, lately I'm beginning to think more and more than I'm actually really shy, not just quiet. (Of course this all connects to people I'm first meeting or getting to know. Later down the line, it's a completely different story.)

Anyways, I'm realizing that perhaps I am more of a shy person than I thought. This isn't always the case, but I'm realizing how nervous it makes me to have a bunch of attention focused on me. I'm kinda awkward anyways, but turn even more awkward, don't really know what to say and probably give off a really weird vibe. It's really a case by case situation, but it's kinda interesting. Tonight for example, we were sitting in a circle at FHE, were in new groups, and were introducing ourselves, saying where we are from and what we do, and then doing the Two Truths and a Lie game. While I'm completely fine, it's my turn and I do my thing...and then we finish up and go to the next person. Suddenly I was extremely aware of all of the nerves that had apparently built up inside of me while I was speaking and the center of attention. It's not really a big deal but it was kinda strange. And has caused me to be thinking about the topic once again.

Do you think there is a difference between being shy and being quiet. What is the distinction.....

2 comments:

Christianne said...

I think what you felt is normal, I feel that way all the time. Even if I raise my hand to respond to a question I feel so nervous until they call on me and I am done then the nerves go away. I do think there is a difference though. Adam is quiet not shy. He doesn't talk unless it is important or he has too but he isn't shy. I think I am more shy than he is but I wouldn't say I am quiet but I don't go out of my way to talk to people...all the time

Karianne Salisbury said...

Yea! I think Adam is a great example...exactly what I was trying to explain. I didn't want it to come off as someone who is quiet isn't smart or can't contribute anything meaningful to a conversation. But they just don't always see the need or are content keeping their thoughts to themselves. Adam is like that...he's totally fine just doing his thing and letting others do theirs. But yea, I wouldn't say he's shy at all. He's perfectly social when needed. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...